custom-header-menu

custom-header-blank-space



Saturday, May 17, 2014

NEGATIVES IN PORTUGUESE

Hello everybody! If you are following the series of articles for beginners, at this time you already know some vocabulary and affirmative phrases structures. Now I will show you basic topics about Portuguese negative phrases.

CLICK HERE TO BACK TO THE COURSE'S MENU


You already know about the structure for simple sentences in Portuguese:
[subject pronoun] + verb + complement + .

Usually to make negative sentences you place NÃO before the verb:
[subject pronoun] + "não" + verb + complement + .

Examples:
Eu não gosto de gatos [I don't like cats].
Eu não sei falar inglês [I don't know how to speak English / I don't speak English]

Other negatives may precede or follow the verb. If they precede the verb, their behavior will be similar to the "NÃO". But If they follow the verb they must be a double negative. The structure will be like this:
[subject pronoun] + "não" + verb + second negative + complement + .

Examples:
Eu nunca vou ao cinema [I never go to the cinema]
Eu não vou nunca ao cinema [I never go to the cinema]

Let's see some examples in this video:



Here is a list of negative words to compound your phrases:
não [no]
nada [nothing, (not) anything]
ninguém [nobody, (not) anybody]
nenhum(a) [no one]
tampouco [nor, either, neither]
nem [nor]
nem ... nem [neither... nor]
sequer [not even]
nunca [never, ever*]
jamais [never, ever*]

NOTE:
"Nunca" means "ever" when it follows a comparative; "jamais" means "ever" when it follows an affirmative verb.


Let's see more examples now:

Nada é impossível. [Nothing is impossible]
Eu não tenho nada. [I have nothing]
Ninguém está em casa. [There is nobody at home]
Eu não sou nem inglês nem japonês. [I am neither English nor Japanese]
Eu não tenho nenhum livro. [I don't have any book]
Não gosto de maças, tampouco de bananas. [I don't like apples or bananas either]
Eu jamais acordo cedo. [I never wake up early]
Não acordo cedo jamais [I never wake up early]
Eu não tenho livros e nem cadernos [I dont have books or notebooks]






No comments:

Post a Comment